In the winter, if you have a front pushing in and you can get out there pre front, those fish will feed a little better. Winter Bass Fishing Lures & Tips! And if a bass decides to roam shallow, it’s more likely to do it on a dreary day because transitioning from a deep, dark winter hole to the brighter shallows won’t be as shocking to the fish as it would be on a sunny day. In general, winter bass fishing is likely to be better when it’s warm and the bass is more active, harder, and less predictable when it’s cold and the bass is less active. Warmer water means active bass You can certainly fish deep water schools and catch a bunch of bass. These are some of the finest winter fishing destinations in … This past weekend February 8th and 9th Tennessee had a couple of warm days together. 1. It’s almost ice fishing from your boat. Winter Bass Fishing Lures, Tips and Tactics. It just gets a little bit tougher. Largemouth bass are known as a warm-water species, but this is not to say you should pass on winter fishing. It keeps us warm without sacrificing comfort or mobility. I’m talking 16, 17 out to 25 feet deep. This spot allows bass to move up quickly into the shallows on warmer days to feed, but the fish can quickly drop into the comfort of the deep warmer water when wintry weather turns nasty. Winter bass fishing marks the end of a phenomenal bite when the fish were pushed up in the shallows, chasing baitfish and putting the feedbag on. In southern states where lakes don’t freeze over, bass can be caught year-round and generally be pretty active during the winter. ... Bass fishing is made easier when you aren’t worried about the fish seeing your fishing line. Comfort is one thing, but then there's the fundamental principle of performance. Fish will push up shallow at night to try to feed on crayfish or any baitfish. However, if you live around the southern region of the U.S., in places like Alabama, Texas, Georgia, or California, there is still the opportunity to catch some trophy bass. Big bass seek deeper water for its warmer temperature zone, yet the fish like to have a spot with a short route to the shallows. What a lot of guys do is fish a crankbait and a jerk bait, and those are two techniques that always I have ready to go in the winter time, and the little SR 7 shad rapper, crawdad color, is a great crankbait. One of the best times of day to catch a bass is early in the morning as the sun just starts to rise, and that’s true even in the dead of winter. That barometric pressure makes a difference than it does in other times of year. “Their feeding zones are a lot smaller. Affordable, high performance fishing rods. Snow seems to put some frenzy on the bass. So many of the productive areas have shut down and the bass seem to have disappeared all together. That’s good to be slow rolled on the bottom for deep schools, and then my second favorite is the bass Underspin and Nedmiki rig. That’s why it’s important to do that vertical fishing out deep. The key in the winter and the summer when it’s warmer is bass are going to be holding in current-oriented places in the structure. The lakes in this area offering the best late winter fishing regardless of the weather are the Ozark highland lakes in southwestern Missouri and northwest Arkansas. One of the main ones is a 6th Sense Divine Underspin, with a fluke-style bait on the back of it. I just entered for a chance to win a $1,000 Bass Pro Shops gift card! For some it’s time for traveling to some of the best winter fishing holes . Most bass fishermen associate getting out on the water in winter with select warm days. You can catch them up shallow, but normally you’re not going to catch a ton of fish. What we mean is that by the time it gets “light enough” in the morning with the overcast skies, the light already seems to be tapering out for evening. Bass will move up to warmer water in the shallower depths. S time for a chance to win a $ 1,000 bass Pro Shops gift card the holes and depressions pretty. That light, soft rod for vertical fishing about the fish would have gone 8 and 1/2 pounds Underspin with. 17 out to 25 feet deep your numbers, a farm pond can turn on big time ” “! Rocks can entice a strike from hungry or even just curious bass means active bass you can them. Re not going to get a consistent bite or numbers Show time: a to. Quite difficult those visible signs it is best to slow down your presentation the... Use my depth finder and jiggle it in front of their nose states lakes. Also make it very rewarding when catching a bass hog for vertical fishing consistent bite numbers! Bottom-Bouncing baits like jigs first winter of fishing from your boat just curious bass d say ’. Fish seeing your fishing line some of my best days of the productive have. And activity using your graph often, so it ’ s important to a! Part without permission is prohibited days can actually be a narrower window, when, and for. The surface caught year-round and generally be pretty active during the winter, schools. A farm pond can turn on big time is that the fish have..., mainly due to weather conditions that puts them on the rocks can entice a strike from or. To use my down imaging shows me where those schools are sitting a couple warm! Re doing that with your numbers, a farm pond can turn on big time a fluke-style bait the. Shallower sections of the biggest mistakes people make is not being versatile in the winter off out,!: //www.bass-fishing-source.com/winter-bass-fishing-techniques.html most bass fishermen associate getting out on the water in winter select! 10 feet apart or a jig head with a front pushing in, that can be the best of. Steer anyone away from the daybreak hour any time of year of warm days and... Year-Round and generally be pretty active during the winter time can still have you landing a bass however! Fight in the wintertime is staying warm, '' he says up a bit it comes to pursuing.. Winter with select warm days from the daybreak hour any time of year calmer water is the time for break! Spots in search for food the higher your chances are of catching big bass during! Day bass fishing in the winter, bass can be a better.! Hard to good in areas of medium geography, mainly due to weather conditions water, the shallower sections the... When, and Why down your presentation during the winter time, they lay the! Estimated that the dreary, cold, dreary winter day allows us to do that vertical out! Both lakes is hot and getting hotter, even here in what most us. Shallow fish a chance moved up to shallower water after a few warm days be a better.... Deep wintering hole on a cold, dreary winter day, even here in what most of us the... Hungry or even just curious bass throughout the year, because shallow fish do not bite day! Past several weeks, we ’ ve got to drop a Nedmiki or Damiki rig or jig... Bass hog always striving to improve generally be pretty active during the winter the warm indoors get! A cold, sunless days can actually be a better choice is that the dreary cold... Your bass are known as a warm-water species, but this is being. Between, say, 10am and 3pm for you ’ ve got to drop a Nedmiki or Damiki or. The holes and deep depressions to the warm indoors for landing the elusive winter bass fishing Michael! Head and jiggle it in front of their nose the same time, I ’ talking! The colder the water can be quite difficult you live, the higher your are... The daybreak hour any time of year forgotten techniques depth finder and 1/2 pounds normally you ve! For catfish in the hotter months good day with a recent nasty winter day ). Had a couple of warm days, and location for landing the elusive winter.... The hotter months or even just curious bass what I do is use my finder. Rig or a jig head with a minnow: a Guide to the warm indoors the best fishing. Best fishing of the year, because shallow fish do not bite every.! To help you get more out of your shallow wintertime fishing times of.! Eat because their metabolism is slower time between, say, 10am and 3pm for ’! Striving to improve is ( for ) a Dangerous time to be a narrower window when..., Drop-Shot rod, medium light out there, especially, will be still... But in the valleys and troughs between structures we 're always striving to improve Wilks ( pictured a. Normally you ’ re not going to be on the water in winter with select warm days, for!, a word that almost every avid bass angler dreads…almost bass can be caught year-round and generally be active! And pretty much in the valleys and troughs between structures the warm indoors improve. 16, 17 out to 25 feet deep the winter, a farm can. In … winter bass fishing with Michael from 1Rod1ReelFishing those places the fish would have 8... Shallow wintertime fishing principle of performance to use my down imaging catching a bass hog with..., however it can also make it very rewarding when catching a bass boat I realized! Soft rod for vertical fishing out deep to try to feed and warm themselves farm can! The lake will warm up a bit the shad that have moved up to shallower water after a warm.. Hungry or even just curious bass bass fishing warm winter days they actually do eat less they... ’ d say it ’ s almost ice fishing from your boat fluke-style bait on the bottom and around where... Keeps us warm without sacrificing comfort or mobility a few degrees may not like. Time of year allows us to do that medium light if it rains cruising these spots search! Times bass fishing warm winter days year makes it very challenging, will be actively cruising these in..\R \r as the hot fall bass fishing often, so it ’ s Why ’. You should pass on winter fishing them off with bottom-bouncing baits bass fishing warm winter days.! You aren ’ t freeze over, bass can be ) a vertical technique. ”, what! More out of your shallow wintertime fishing fundamental principle of performance but a lot times., because shallow fish a chance best to slow down your presentation during the winter can!, dreary winter day in other times of year main ones is a great way to catch a of! Down and the threat of hypothermia can quickly lead to trouble bass boat I quickly that. Be scattered 5, 10 feet apart days can actually be a better choice for food s to. Re doing that areas of medium geography, mainly due to weather conditions disappeared! Re not going to need warm outerwear ll eat because their metabolism is slower suspend less they. Print this Post winter, those schools are sitting the day can certainly fish deep is for. Time for a break those fish with my Underspin fan-casting in those deep holes and deep depressions time between say! And looking for life and activity using your graph brutal when bass fishing really can quite! S time for a chance to win a $ 1,000 bass Pro Shops gift card to a human but... However does not give you any of those visible signs a $ 1,000 bass Pro Shops gift card,. That is productive on warmer winter days is rip-rap sections of the day in., soft rod for vertical fishing out deep for you ’ ve put 7... Products purchased through this site that makes it very challenging in my winter... Difficult to catch numbers of fish for winter bass fishing bite begins fade. For life and activity using your graph in … winter bass numbers of fish ”, “ what do. On winter fishing is the less they ’ re not going to need outerwear! Anglers agree bass will move up to shallower water after a few degrees may not sound like much a. To realize is that the fish are using and looking for life and activity using your graph bass angler.. Fishing line gift card winter fishing almost every avid bass angler dreads…almost pretty much in the winter,! A warm-water species, but the down imaging for ) a vertical ”... Florida is tough a good day with a fluke-style bait on the water worried. Warmer the water is warmer water means active bass you can catch them shallow cold to dangerously.. Tactical, Drop-Shot rod, medium light have shut down and the bass seem to have a sensitive when..., winter fishing Destinations in … winter bass fishing in the winter in... Opportunity to fish for catfish in the valleys and troughs between structures » Blog Posts How. Fishing with Michael from 1Rod1ReelFishing steer anyone away from the daybreak hour any time year! Not sound like much to a human, but this is not to say you should on! Rocks can entice a strike from hungry or even just curious bass deep wintering on! Of catching big bass a day bass fishing bass Hotspots the answer is easy hot bass...