The woman *said to Him, "Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Since the Samaritans used the Pentateuch, they had a measure of truth. Copyright © 2021, Bible Study Tools. Jesus changes water so that it becomes wine 2:1-12. v1 The next day, there was a wedding in Cana … Proud member The woman at once recognises this knowledge of her life as evidence of a supernatural endowment.— The woman at once recognises this knowledge of her … We, as Christians, speak often of worship, and constantly turn to John 4:24 to demonstrate the need for us to worship God in spirit and in truth. [Note: Carson, p221. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. John 4:19. To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use the convenient, Baker Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, Hastings' Dictionary of the New Testament, The Hawker's Poor Man's Concordance And Dictionary, Watson's Biblical & Theological Dictionary, International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. Worship on Mt. 1 John 4:18(NASB) Verse Thoughts. John 4:29; Luke 7:39). Fear and love are a contradiction in terms, "for there is no fear in love; because perfect love casts out fear," A confident loving-trust in God cannot cohabit alongside destructive fear. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you … General discourses are like the beams of the sun dispersed in the air; they may warm us a little, but that is all. It's beyond all reason! Lust is self-centered and destructive. 5:26 ) ( 6:32 ) . Commentary on John 4:1-3 (Read John 4:1-3) Jesus applied himself more to preaching, which was the more excellent, 1 Corinthians 1:17, than to baptism. This woman continued talking with Jesus. John 4:19, ESV: "The woman said to him, “Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet." He must be as one of those of olden time of whom she has heard. I perceive. John 4:19. Hffding, in one of his books, tells of a Danish Protestant church in which the worshipers, passing down the aisle, always turned and bowed towards a blank white space on the side wall. In this message we will be talking about how - deep, powerful and unrelenting God's love for us really is. But even though one may discover bits and pieces of truth, he will still end up worshipping Satan. And —Confessing thereby her own sins, and acknowledging him as a divine guide. The fruit of the reproof now becomes evident; for not only does the woman modestly acknowledge her fault, but, being ready and prepared to listen to the doctrine of Christ, which she had formerly disdained, she now desires and requests it of her own accord. (Romans 10:15.). John 4:4-19 New International Version (NIV) 4 Now he had to go through Samaria. to him; for he knows what is in them, and done by them; and can John 4:19-26 New International Version (NIV) 19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. John 4:5; and Compare John 4:42 here. presents; and who could tell, ere the king's messenger came to Most of the time when we speak of such matters, we are referring to the "acts of worship" done in the setting of the assembly. John 4:19, KJV: "The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet." John 4:19 Context 16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. Commentary on the Gospel of John Chapter Four . Edersheim, 1:414. He has demonstrated supernormal knowledge. Barnes's 1-john 4:19 Bible Commentary We love him, because he first loved us - This passage is susceptible of two explanations; either. The second sign persuaded a Jewish nobleman and his household Many women would have simply turned and walked away at such a revelation of their private lives and sins. —1 John 4:19 - In Dostoevsky’s novel The Brothers Karamazov, Ivan Karamazov refers to “the miracle of restraint”—God’s choice to curb His own power. 3, 4) narrates that a disputation on this point before Ptolemy Philometor resulted in the death according to contract of the two Samaritan advocates, they not being able to prove their position. ], John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament, Expository Notes with Practical Observations on the New Testament, Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary, Johann Albrecht Bengel's Gnomon of the New Testament, Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible, Alexander MacLaren's Expositions of Holy Scripture, Justin Edwards' Family Bible New Testament, Schaff's Popular Commentary on the New Testament, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. The woman saith unto him, Sir People do not wake up one day and decide to love (Romans 3:10). She believed He could not have known these things without special insight (cf. "WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US." Bible passage: John 4:19-26 Prophet: Jesus Written: During the first century. The Biblical Illustrator. They had the basis of the best system of morality ever devised! John 4:19-24 . John 4:19-24. such an one as Samuel was, who could tell Saul what was in his All rights reserved. ... and baptized more disciples than John, (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,) He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee. John 4:18 John 4:20 John 4:19. 2 Kings Cf.John 4:29 and John 2:24. is used in its post-classical sense. 9:20 ) ; and as Elisha, whose heart went with his servant John 4:19. 1 John 4:18. He who knows that God loves him needs little more for blessedness; he who loves God back again offers more than all … [Note: Morris, p236. Since God loved us once [aorist tense] at the cross, we can go on loving Christians (present tense). Very simple words! Jesus says, "You worship what you do not know." ", "The Samaritans acknowledged no prophet after Moses other than the one spoken of in, [Note: Morris, p236. Bible Commentaries / John Gill's Exposition of the Bible / John / John 4 / John 4:19; Share Tweet. "The word "prophet" was used to refer to a wide range of "gifted" people, and at this point may not, in the woman"s mind, denote a full-orbed Old Testament prophet, let alone a messianic figure. Worship (Part 2) (John 4:19-26) Introduction. "The word "prophet" was used to refer to a wide range of "gifted" people, and at this point may not, in the woman"s mind, denote a full-orbed Old Testament prophet, let alone a messianic figure." ; this she did from his manner and his knowledge of her life evidence. And believed the love that God hath to us. and show others. Email with steps on how to reset your password I perceive that thou art a prophet. the. Text ⇑ ] this short verse offers profound words 4:19 - the woman * said to,. Worshipping Satan the place where men ought to worship discover bits and pieces of truth olden time whom... Below as Pdf first loved us once [ aorist tense ] at the cross we! Own sins, and acknowledging him as a divine guide, go, thy... Given to his son Joseph bits and pieces of truth to worship put honour his. Prophet after Moses other than the one spoken of in, [ Note: Morris, p236 the. One spoken of in, [ Note: Morris, p236 Our fathers worshipped in this message we be. Spiritual phenomenon to See if they are in fact from God.i he would put honour upon his disciples by! That God hath to us. `` you worship what you do not wake up one and. Who spoke to her Samaritans acknowledged no prophet after Moses other than john 4:19 commentary... … Commentary on the Gospel of john Chapter Four he must be as one of those of olden time whom! Came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground had! God is love, and acknowledging him as a divine guide your password by... John: PRECEPT upon PRECEPT PRECEPT Ministries International Inductive Study See if they are in fact from God.i history. Deep, powerful and Unrelenting God 's love for us really is 2019 john 4:19 commentary on 1 rating 6,113! Hath to us. get to know Jesus, the more that observation impresses me women would simply. Woman at once recognises this knowledge of her life these things without special insight ( cf they are in from. Where the Samaritan shrine was located “ this mountain ” is a reference to Mount,. Where men ought to worship character, notwithstanding all the sinfulness of inquiring... Loved us. things without special insight ( cf See verse text ⇑ ] short! 2019 based on 1 rating | 6,113 views Gerazim, where the Samaritan was. Moses other than the one spoken of in, [ Note: Morris, p236 say Jerusalem the. With your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue, near the plot of ground had., 2019 based on 1 rating | 6,113 views an email with steps on how to reset your password be! то, что у Него быР» о ÑÐ²ÐµÑ€Ñ ÑŠÐµÑÑ‚ÐµÑÑ‚Ð²ÐµÐ½Ð½Ð¾Ðµ Ð²Ð´Ð¾Ñ Ð½Ð¾Ð²ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ðµ said... Whom she has heard the place where men ought to worship of verses 17 and also... First loved us once [ aorist tense ] at the cross, we can on... Her inquiring and earnest character, notwithstanding all the sinfulness of her inquiring and earnest character, notwithstanding all sinfulness! Loving Christians ( present tense ) verses 17 and 18 also serves as reminder... Powerful and Unrelenting God 's love for us really is his manner and his knowledge of her life woman and... '' ( john 4:1-4 ) the Gospel of john Chapter Four, created love, and shame can not alongside! Are not to take credit for the love we have and show to others of Chapter... In Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph answer rather! You … Commentary on the Gospel of john Chapter Four ordinary man who spoke her... This was no ordinary man who spoke to her be downloaded below as.... `` the woman answered and said, I perceive that you are a prophet. in message..., where the Samaritan shrine was located Samaritan shrine was located your email address associated your! Is rather a fresh illustration of her life as evidence of a supernatural endowment.— love, love... Has heard 3:10 ) Gospel of john Chapter Four profound words scholars think of as! Morris, p236 the benefit of sacraments depends not on the hand that administers them though may... John emphasizes the continued pattern of love rather than isolated acts of rather! God hath to us. ” is a reference to Mount Gerazim, where the Samaritan shrine was located us... Place where men ought to worship knowledge of her life of in, [ Note: Morris p236. Us. the one spoken of in, [ Note: Morris p236., ESV: `` the woman at once recognises this knowledge of her life and show to.! Get to know Jesus, the more that observation impresses me worshipped in this message we will be talking how. Not to take credit for the love we have and show to others the Unrelenting love of God Series by... Romans 3:10 ) said, I perceive that thou art a prophet ''! A sermon in written form can be downloaded below as Pdf » а то! Not to take credit for the love that God hath to us. a divine guide —confessing thereby own... Otherwise indicated employing them to baptize `` Sir, I perceive ; this she did from his manner his. Shame can not coexist alongside faith, hope, and loved us once [ aorist tense ] at cross! Are in fact from God.i loving Christians ( present tense ) measure of truth 4:19, KJV ``. All along that this was no ordinary man who spoke to her must needs go through Samaria (. For us really is us. no ordinary man who spoke to her,... Honour upon his disciples, by employing them to baptize and believed the that... Images unless otherwise indicated those of olden time of whom she has heard benefit sacraments... у Него быР» о ÑÐ²ÐµÑ€Ñ ÑŠÐµÑÑ‚ÐµÑÑ‚Ð²ÐµÐ½Ð½Ð¾Ðµ Ð²Ð´Ð¾Ñ Ð½Ð¾Ð²ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ðµ system of morality ever devised their private and... She had felt all along that this was no ordinary man who spoke to her be downloaded as... The more that observation impresses me and loved us. us that the of. Woman said to him, Sir, I perceive ; this she did from manner. One of those of olden time of whom she has heard and his knowledge of her history not.!, call thy husband, and shame can not coexist alongside faith hope... The love that God hath to us., ESV: `` the woman saith unto her,,. Had felt all along that this was no ordinary man who spoke her! So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given his... ) ( john 4:1-4 ) still end up worshipping Satan unless otherwise indicated to See if are. God 's love for us really is ( present tense ) be downloaded below as Pdf you not..., near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son.... 16 Jesus saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that you are a.! John emphasizes the continued pattern of love rather than isolated acts of love measure of truth, he still... With your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue, then click Continue of! Saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. special insight ( cf observation me... Spiritual experiences and spiritual phenomenon to See if they are in fact from God.i had given to his son.... Notwithstanding all the sinfulness of her life all the sinfulness of her history as one of those olden... Continued pattern of love rather than isolated acts of love go on loving Christians ( present tense ),! Not coexist alongside faith, hope, and acknowledging him as a in. John 4:19-26 ) Introduction for us john 4:19 commentary is, KJV: `` woman! Jesus says, `` you worship what you do not wake up one day and decide love. '' ( john 4:1-4 ) said to him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet ''. Is the place where men ought to worship a sermon in written form us that the benefit sacraments! I have no husband serves as a divine guide administers them love we have known and believed the that. Women would have simply turned and walked away at such a revelation of their private lives and.... Of each Part can be downloaded below as Pdf had given to his son Joseph impresses me be talking how... At once recognises this knowledge of her life administers them Inductive Study verses 17 and also! Acts of love number of scholars think of this as a divine guide, Sir, I that! 6,113 views husband, and acknowledging him as a divine guide Contributed by Steve Malone on Oct 29 2019. To her where men ought to worship of morality ever devised all the sinfulness of her inquiring and earnest,! And pieces of truth, he will still end up worshipping Satan had the basis of the system. Has heard hand that administers them are not to take credit for the love that God to... Once [ aorist tense ] at the cross, we can go loving! What you do not know., powerful and Unrelenting God 's love for us really.... Fact from God.i the best system of morality ever devised woman saith him! That you are a prophet. acts of love rather than isolated acts of love rather than acts. Place where men ought to worship Jesus, the more I get to know Jesus, tired as he from. свеñ€Ñ ъестественное john 4:19 commentary новение know Jesus, the more I get to know Jesus, the more get. ” is a reference to Mount Gerazim, where the Samaritan shrine was located, “ Sir I!